MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials which have attracted much attention in recent years, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and have shown broad application prospects in many fields. This is an in depth overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is actually a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material composed of M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the main group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer consists of M, A, X, three of the elements of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, these are widely used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding and other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new form of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements with all the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A means the main-group elements, and X refers back to the components of C and N. The MXene material is really a graphene-like structure obtained by the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAXenes and MXenes are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have an array of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a very common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which can be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be used in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and can be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials also provide better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties may be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which may be utilized in energy materials. For example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What are MXene materials?
MXene materials really are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can connect with more functional atoms and molecules, as well as a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually range from the etching management of the MAX phase as well as the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties such as electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics could be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials certainly are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials composed of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, including high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the ability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and therefore are widely used in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials bring electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Additionally, MXene materials could also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the activity and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. For example, MXene materials can be used electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, along with other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be utilized in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials bring gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics and other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Later on, with the continuous progress of science and technology and the increasing demand for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application areas of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. The following aspects could become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and techniques could be further explored to comprehend a far more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is definitely high, there is however still room for more optimization. Down the road, the composition, structure, surface treatment as well as other aspects of the material could be studied and improved in depth to improve the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be widely used in numerous fields, but you can still find many potential application areas to become explored. Down the road, they can be further expanded, like in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection as well as other fields.
In summary, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a wide application prospect in many fields. With the continuous progress of science and technology as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application areas of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.